image of object
Photo: Courtesy Historic Deerfield, Inc., Mass., HD 1809. Photo by Helga Photo Studio
Click the image to enlarge

Card table


Object number

RIF1782

Maker

Maker Unknown
Maker formerly attributed John Goddard, 1723/24–1785

Dimensions

Closed: 69.85 x 87.63 x 46.99 cm (27 1/2 x 34 1/2 x 18 1/2 in.)

Date

1760–1780

Current location

Historic Deerfield, Inc.

Geography

Made in Newport, Rhode Island
(view a map of Rhode Island)

Medium

Mahogany (primary); maple (hinged rail and cross braces); pine (stationary rail and glue blocks of front legs); chestnut (glue blocks of front legs); yellow poplar (rear glue blocks)

Marks

None

Inscriptions

None

Style

Chippendale

Provenance

C. W. Lyon, Inc., New York, probably before 1940; sold to Mr. and Mrs. Norvin H. Green (1893–1955), Tuxedo Park, New York, and Phoenix, before 1950; consigned to Parke-Bernet Galleries, New York, November 29–30, and December 1–2, 1950, lot 504; Henry N. Flynt (1893–1970), Deerfield, Massachusetts. C. W. Lyon, Inc., 1955. Mrs. Helen Geier Flynt (1895–1986), Deerfield, Massachusetts; given to Historic Deerfield, Inc., Massachusetts, by 1976

Associated names

C. W. Lyon, Inc.
Norvin H. Green
Parke-Bernet Galleries, Inc.

Construction

The single-board lower leaf has a rounded edge and square outset corners. Its front and side edges are each alternately straight and serpentine. It is joined to its conformingly shaped top leaf by two pairs of brass hinges set into the rear corners of each leaf. The upper leaf contains two small patches on its underside in its proper right rear corner. There are two leaf-edge joints, each consisting of a tenon on the rear edge of the top leaf and a mortise on the lower leaf. The top is secured to its conformingly shaped frame by screw pockets – one inside the interior rear rail and one in each side rail – and by two transverse battens set into the tops of the longitudinal rails and fixed with rosehead nails into the underside of the top. Screws and rosehead nails join the interior rear rail to the central stationary portion of the exterior rear rail. In the rear corners of the frame are vertical rectangular glue blocks. Each front corner contains two vertical blocks. The ends of the interior rear rail meet the side rails in rabbeted dovetail joints having thick-necked pins with half-pins above and below. The front and side rails are tenoned without wood pins to the blocks above the front legs. The swinging portions of the outside rear rail move by means of round five-knuckled carved wood hinges. The ends of the swinging rails are tenoned and double-wood-pinned to their legs. The front legs have carved knee brackets held on with glue and rosehead nails; the rear legs have no brackets. The front legs are square-sectioned and acanthus carved at the angular knees and at the brackets, with square ankles and prominent tendons and claws holding elongated ball feet. The rear legs have square-sectioned, angular knees, rounded ankles, and shod pad feet. Examined by P. E. Kane and J. N. Johnson, October 29, 2014; notes compiled by T. B. Lloyd.

See also


Bibliography

Parke-Bernet Galleries, Inc., New York, The Notable American Collection of Mr. and Mrs. Norvin H. Green, sale cat. (November 29–December 2, 1950), 122–23, lot 504, ill.
"C. W. Lyon, Inc., advertisement," Antiques 67, no. 5 (May 1955): 353, ill.
Dean A. Fales, Jr., The Furniture of Historic Deerfield (New York: E. P. Dutton and Company, 1976), 131, fig. 271–271a.
Patricia E. Kane et al., Art and Industry in Early America: Rhode Island Furniture, 1650–1830, exh. cat. (New Haven, Conn.: Yale University Art Gallery, 2016), 333n2.