image of object
Photo: Courtsey of Rokeby Museum, Ferrisburgh, Vt., used with permission
Click the image to enlarge

Dining table


Object number

RIF3658

Maker

Maker Unknown

Dimensions

Closed: 27 3/8 x 13 9/16 x 41 15/16 in. (69.53 x 34.45 x 106.52 cm) Width, open: 49 1/2 in. (125.73 cm)

Date

1785–1790

Current location

Rokeby Museum, Ferrisburgh

Geography

Probably made in Rhode Island
(view a map of Rhode Island)

Medium

Cherry (primary); white pine (stationary rails and corner blocks); maple (hinged rails); oak (one corner block)

Marks

None

Inscriptions

"X," in red chalk, on underside and side of fixed section of one hinged rail, on underside and side of hinged section of other hinged rail, and on underside of top

Style

Federal

Provenance

Mrs. Thomas Robinson (née Jemima Fish, 1761–1846), Portsmouth, Rhode Island, then Ferrisburgh, Vermont; by descent to her son Rowland T. Robinson (1796–1879), Ferrisburgh, Vermont; by descent to his son George G. Robinson (1825–1894), Ferrisburgh, Vermont; by descent to his brother Rowland E. Robinson (1833–1900), Ferrisburgh, Vermont; by descent to his wife, Anna S. Robinson (1840–1920), Ferrisburgh, Vermont; given to Rokeby Museum, Ferrisburgh, Vermont, before 1920

Associated names

Jemima Fish Robinson
Rowland T. Robinson
George G. Robinson
Rowland E. Robinson
Anna S. Robinson

Construction

The rectangular, single-board top has a square edge and is flanked by rectangular two-board leaves, similarly edged, to which it is joined by four iron hinges, each leaf thrice-screwed, set slightly inward of the legs. Shadows indicate an old repair to the top where one hinge was removed and relocated. The joint between the leaves is quarter-round, except at the ends of the top, where chamfered half-round portions of the underside reinforce the joint. The top is secured to the frame with screw pockets, one each inside the stationary rails, and by horizontal glue blocks, all but one now missing. The stationary rails are attached to the short rails in dovetail joints, with finely cut pins and half-pins above and below. The hinged and stationary rails are joined by rosehead nails. The fixed and stationary ends of the hinged rails are secured to their respective legs in mortise and tenon joints, each exhibiting two wood pins. There are vertical rectangular glue blocks in each corner of the frame. The hinged legs swing by means of square, seven-knuckled wood hinges. The top of the hinged legs are rabbeted, their shafts square and tapered. Examined by P.E. Kane, May 24, 2008; notes compiled by T.B. Lloyd.