Mr. John Howard Benson, 1901–1956



View objects associated with Mr. John Howard Benson >

Biography

John Howard Benson purchased the John Stevens Shop in Newport in 1928, a stonecutting shop founded in 1704. He became widely respected for his work, completing commissions for the Metropolitan Museum, Harvard University, and Phillips Exeter Academy. A longtime lecturer in the sculpture department at the Rhode Island School of Design, Benson published many books on typography and calligraphy. The Yale School of Art granted him an honorary Master of Fine Arts degree in 1955.(1)

Benson and his wife Esther Fisher Benson donated the Governor Benedict Arnold Burying Ground to The Preservation Society of Newport County.


1. "J.H. Benson Dies; Calligrapher, 55." The New York Times 24 Feb 1956: 25.